Skip to main content

The Contested Vote That Made McKinney the Collin County Seat

Before Historic Downtown Square existed, a ten-to-one vote and a 120-acre land donation decided which town would anchor Collin County. Here's the real story.

Anyone who’s spent an afternoon around Historic Downtown Square has stood, without necessarily realizing it, on ground that almost belonged to a different town entirely. McKinney’s status as the seat of Collin County wasn’t a foregone conclusion when the county was first organized — it was the result of a special election, a technicality about geography, and a land donation that arrived just in time.

A county carved out of Fannin

Collin County was created in 1846 out of territory that had previously belonged to Fannin County, part of a wave of county formation across North Texas in the years following statehood. Like most Texas counties from that era, it was laid out at roughly 30 miles square, and the new county needed a seat of government — a physical town where the courthouse, and with it the county’s legal and administrative life, would sit.

Buckner’s brief run as county seat

The first town to hold that role wasn’t McKinney at all. Buckner, located about seven miles northwest of where McKinney now stands, served as Collin County’s seat for the county’s first two years. But the First Legislature of Texas had set a rule on January 12, 1848: a county seat needed to sit within three miles of the geographic center of its county. Buckner didn’t meet that standard, and the legislature called for a special election to pick a new location.

A ten-to-one vote, and a name nobody expected

The vote wasn’t close. By a margin of ten to one, residents chose the site that would become McKinney over the alternatives on the ballot. The Texas Legislature then formally established the town as the new county seat on March 16, 1848. Here’s the detail that tends to surprise people who assume the city was simply named for its founder: many residents at the time expected the new town to be called Buckner, carrying the old seat’s name forward. Instead, the legislature named it McKinney — after Collin McKinney, the same man the county itself had already been named for.

Collin McKinney wasn’t a local landowner cashing in on a naming opportunity. He was one of the men who helped draft and sign the Texas Declaration of Independence from Mexico in 1836, a decade before the county that bears his name even existed. By the time McKinney the town was founded, its namesake was already an elder statesman of the Texas Revolution, and naming both the county and its seat after him was as much a gesture of political honor as anything else.

The 120 acres that became downtown

A new county seat needs an actual townsite, and that’s where William Davis enters the story. Davis owned 3,000 acres on the land where McKinney now stands, and on March 24, 1849 — about a year after the legislature’s decision — he donated 120 acres of that land specifically for the townsite. That donated ground is, in broad strokes, the footprint that grew into what residents today know as Historic Downtown Square: the courthouse block and the grid of streets radiating outward from it.

Why this history still matters on the Square today

Walk the Square now — past Chestnut Square Heritage Village, past the storefronts that host the Saturday farmers market, past the McKinney Cotton Mill a few blocks over on Elm Street — and it’s easy to treat the historic district as simply a nicely preserved backdrop for a Friday evening out. But the specific shape of that downtown core traces directly back to a 120-acre donation made when the town was barely a year old, on land that only became the county seat because of a three-mile technicality and a lopsided vote nobody remembers arguing over today.

McKinney’s population and footprint have grown enormously since 1849, stretching well past what William Davis ever donated, into master-planned communities and commercial corridors that would have been unrecognizable to the town’s first residents. But the Square itself — the actual geographic and civic center of the city — sits more or less where a 19th-century land donation put it, which is a genuinely unusual thing for a fast-growing North Texas suburb to be able to say.

The name that almost was

It’s worth sitting with how close McKinney came to being called something else entirely. The prevailing expectation among residents at the time was that the new county seat would simply carry Buckner’s name forward, a reasonable assumption given that Buckner had already served as the seat for two years. Instead, the legislature reached for the name already attached to the county itself, honoring the man behind both. It’s a naming decision that, in hindsight, gave McKinney a distinct identity separate from any single geographic feature or founder’s personal branding — the town is named for a signer of Texas independence, full stop, not for a river, a ridge, or the family that happened to own the land.

A courthouse square built to last

The 120-acre donation didn’t just create a townsite — it created the specific grid pattern that still defines Historic Downtown Square today, with the courthouse block at the center and streets radiating outward in the kind of layout common to 19th-century Texas county seats. That pattern is why the Square still functions as a genuine walkable center rather than a relic surrounded by newer development that bypassed it entirely. Successive generations of McKinney residents have adapted the buildings around that original grid — turning what were once dry-goods stores and livery stables into the restaurants, boutiques, and event spaces that host today’s Saturday farmers market and First Friday gatherings — without needing to alter the underlying street pattern that William Davis’s donation established more than 175 years ago.

The McKinney Bulletin

Local dispatches, dining reviews, and community updates — delivered to your inbox.

The McKinney Weekly

The week's top local news & events, free in your inbox. No spam — unsubscribe anytime.